Aluminium conductors, aluminium-clad steel reinforced manufactured to AS 3607.
The wires in all bare conductors are stranded concentrically with successive layers having an opposite direction of lay, the outermost layer being right-handed. When required, a larger central wire (king-wire) is included in a conductor. The diameter of this wire is based on conductor design considerations and is usually 5% greater than the surrounding wires. The incorporation of a king wire is often an advantage for ACSR type conductors, as it ensures that the surrounding layer of wires fits firmly on the central wire.
Note Current ratings are based on the following conditions
- Conductor temperature rise above ambient of 40°C
- Ambient air temperature of 35°C for summer noon or 10°C for winter night
- Direct solar radiation intensity of 1000W/m² for summer noon or zero for winter night
- Diffuse solar radiation intensity of 100W/m² for summer noon or zero for winter night
- Ground reflectance of 0.2
- Emissivity of 0.5 for rural weathered conductor or 0.85 for industrial weathered conductor
- Solar absorption coefficient of 0.5 for rural weathered or 0.85 for industrial weathered conductor